Wednesday, April 9, 2008

back in Belfast...

So here I am in Belfast staying at the Elms Housing at Queen's University. We are living in co-ed dorms, and, although I haven't met my neighbors I have a strong feeling I'm living with a bunch of guys. At night the hallways are drenched in cologne and the bathroom usually smells funky and the seat is up. C'mon guys! Help me out here... we also have a kitchen in the middle of the hall which is basically every man for himself.  There is a pot of some sort of soup that hasn't been moved for days, and the floor is continually crusted with stuff. Sorry, this is graphic and gross but I want you guys to be with me wherever I go! (wink wink) I like living here, but it has really made me appreciate Brown Cody and the housing at Southwestern. Like a lot. Anyone who gripes about SU housing should come live with me for a week and then they'll understand.

The rooms are nice, it's just a bed, a sink and a desk. I do have a fantastic view of a little neighborhood outside of the housing development. The main campus is about a ten minute walk down the road, but we're within twenty minute walks of just about everything you need to survive here: a grocery store, the students union, several bars, a liquor store, a few late night fast food places, and a bookstore. Oh, and a library for the occasional study... 

I spent most of yesterday in the Queen's main library trying to research for my project. We can't actually take books out since we have "temporary passes" which is going to mean A LOT of time in the good 'ol library. It has about eleven floors and just amazing amounts of stuff. I kept having to ask for directions because the cataloging system was so different. 

I had a weird morning today, I've been waking up completely stuffed up, I think it's the weather. So I decided to get up and have some cereal and eat some of my new groceries (I've had Maureen cooking for me for the past while so I hope I don't starve). I poor a bowl of cereal and dig in. Since I'm all stopped up it took me about half way through the bowl to realize something was wrong. I look at the milk container and realize I've bought Goat's milk. Which I thought was "skim." GREAT. Then I decide to go check of the fitness facilities at Queen's and realize I'd have to pay the remainder of my budget for a three-week membership. I guess it's just jogging (or not) outside then! Despite the annoying start, I get to meet with my advisor today which should be great. I've been reading his research and it's really good stuff! 

Okay, this was kind of a venting post, mostly aimed at my family and close friends who will (hopefully) sympathize with my unfortunate neighbors and goat milk morning. I MISS YOU ALL. I love you guys too. Roves :)

No comments: