Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Hello Everyone! I've successfully managed to avoid blogging for over a month. I'm going to blame that on inconsistent internet access instead of laziness. We've just spent the past three weeks in Northern Ireland. After getting back Good Friday, I decided to spend my extended Easter weekend relaxing in Dublin.  My host mother Maureen spent two weeks in Portugal on a "Walking Holiday." So, while she spent two weeks exercising, I was traipsing about the North. My friend Summer, who goes to Washington and Lee in Virginia, suggested we tour the Guinness Factory in Dublin. FANTASTIC IDEA! However, I have a few comments for those that plan on doing the tour if they ever come to Ireland. 

1) Buy your tickets online, unless you want to wait in line outside the building for an hour and a half.
2) Don't go on a Saturday. Oh, and if at all possible, don't go on Easter Weekend. 
3) Bring your student id, you can get in cheaper.
4) Don't eat anything before you go. There is a pint of Guinness waiting for you "for free" (included in the ticket price of 10 euro) when you reach the seventh floor of the factory.
5) Don't expect to meet any Irish people while you're there. This is major tourist destination. 
6) Eat the sample of roasted barley! It tastes good!
7) Expect to spend at least 2 hours on the self-guided tour. There is a lot to see.

Okay, I don't want to give everything away, but at the end of the tour, there is a bar on the top of the building that overlooks all of Dublin. The sun was shining and we were able to drink our pints and look out across the Dublin mountains.  And yes, I drank the ENTIRE PINT ALL BY MYSELF.

For Easter Sunday Maureen's family came over and we had a wonderful dinner of ham, turkey, stuffing, peas, brown bread, gravy, and roasted peppers. It was so great being with a family on Easter weekend, especially Maureen's family, who are some of the nicest people I've ever met. We did an "adult egg hunt" where we searched Maureen's garden for Lindt chocolate eggs. It was great. That night myself, Summer, and another friend Allie took a taxi to a small pub called the Blue Light in the Dublin Mountains. Overlooking the city this pub is literally in the middle of nowhere. We met some of our Irish friends there and spent the entire night in the dark lighting singing songs and drinking pints of cider.  We taught them an American drinking game and they loved it. There were men and women singing and playing instruments, and two groups of men were yelling soccer chants against each other. Manchester versus Liverpool I think? I'm not really sure. Anyway, it rocked. Anyway, I'm going to compose several posts to tell you all about Northern Ireland, because a lot of stuff happened, and I can't do it justice quite yet. I love you all and miss you guys more than anything.
STAY TUNED. 

No comments: